Understanding your USMLE Step 1, 2 CK and 3 Score Report
With the exception of Step 2 CS (which is reported as Pass/Fail), USMLE results are reported on a 3-digit scale.
The current minimum passing scores are as follows:
Step 1: 192
Step 2 CK: 209
Step 3: 196
Examination data (including performance information and recorded patient encounters) from USMLE examinations may be used by the USMLE program or made available to third parties for research. In such instances, the data will be confidential, and individual examinees will not be identified in any publication. If you do not wish your score to be made available for research purposes, you must advise the USMLE Secretariat in writing (see the USMLE Contact page).
For more information about scores, view Scores Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What’s Included on Your Transcript?
Your USMLE transcript includes the following:
- your name and other personal identification information, including your date of birth;
- your complete examination history of all Steps and Step Components that you took;
- your history of any examinations for which no results were reported;
- indication of whether you have previously taken the former NBME Parts I, II, or III, Federation Licensing Examination (FLEX), or ECFMG Clinical Skills Assessment (CSA);
- annotation(s) and information documenting classification of any scores as indeterminate (see Score Validity and Irregular Behavior);
- annotation(s) and information documenting any irregular behavior (see Score Validity and Irregular Behavior); and
- annotation(s) of any actions taken against you by medical licensing authorities or other credentialing entities that have been reported to the FSMB Board Action Databank.
Note: Graphical performance profiles, which are included on your original score reports, are not included in your USMLE transcript.
To obtain your USMLE transcript or have it sent to a third party, you must contact the ECFMG, FSMB, or NBME depending on which examinations you have taken and where you want your transcript sent.
Contact the FSMB if you want your transcript sent to a medical licensing authority at any time. If you have not registered for or taken Step 3 and want your transcript sent to anyone other than a medical licensing authority, submit the request to the last entity that registered you.
Requesting a Transcript of USMLE Scores
To obtain your USMLE transcript or have it sent to a third party, you must contact the ECFMG, FSMB, or NBME and pay the associated fee. Which entity you contact depends on which Steps you have taken and where you want your transcript sent. Use the table below to determine which entity you should contact based on your specific details and needs.
|Step(s)/Component(s) Taken||Recipient of Transcript||Contact|
|One or more USMLE Steps||Medical licensing authority||FSMB|
|All three USMLE Steps; or Step 1 and Step 2 CK and CS (if required), only when registered for or after taking Step 3||Any recipient||FSMB|
|Step 1 and/or Step 2 CK and/or CS only, registered by ECFMG||Any recipient other than a medical licensing authority||ECFMG|
|Step 1 and/or Step 2 CK and/or CS only, registered by NBME||Any recipient other than a medical licensing authority||NLES|